inCONVERSATION with Michael Lamb at Syentium

Based in Worcester, Syentium is a recognised leader in the design, development, and implementation of automated detection of illegal and targeted items in x-ray security screening systems.

Syentium’s AI software automatically detects guns, weapons, prohibited items, illegal CITES, protected species and wildlife trade for security services and government agencies in aviation, rail, fast parcel, postal services, maritime, and cross border activities without disruption or hindrance to the free flow of passengers or trade at departure or arrival. The International Criminal Police Organization, Interpol, has shared this technology globally.

The software and systems are easily installed into current operations. They deliver a low-cost, high-grade performance enhancer giving operational risk assessment, labour savings, and new tools for greater efficiencies in real time without encroaching on manpower resources. Similar detection algorithms are used in industrial manufacturing for inspection and quality control.

The local business was recently awarded a Proof of Concept grant, which has allowed them to fast track the development of these solutions and employ additional local software engineers and a systems designer.

Michael Lamb, Founder and Director of Syentium, said: “The grant has enabled us to proceed at an accelerated rate, allowing our work to been seen at a global level. Many governments are now examining our software for integration into their security systems to target contraband and illegal wildlife trafficking.”

“The discussions I had prior to applying for the grant explained all the elements in detail and the subsequent support we have received has been exemplary.”

“The entire process was straightforward and clear, the team have been very helpful, nothing was any trouble for them – they’ve been a pleasure to work with.”

The core software has been enhanced by Home Office, Foreign & Commonwealth and European Union Regional Development Funding. Key operational elements have been successfully tested or operated by UK Border Force, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Jamaican Security Services and a major international commercial manufacturing facility in the UK and US. The Interpol presentation can be seen here

Proof of Concept grant funding of up to £30,000 is available to support SMEs to investigate, advance, commercialise and protect innovative new products, services and solutions. This grant support provides 40% of the total cost of a project, with the remaining 60% provided by the SME. [

To find out more about the Proof of Concept grant, please visit the webpage here:


Like this article? Share it with your friends and colleagues!

WINN brings innovators together, acting as a catalyst to create connections and collaborations across the diverse business landscape of Worcestershire.

Our belief is that great things can happen when people get together.

WINN is a Worcestershire Innovation Programme formed by Worcestershire County Council and the Worcestershire LEP